• Welcome to Oxbow's blog

    Home of Entertainment|| Politics, Health tip|| Education|| Sport|| Gossip and all gist...... *wink*

    Saturday, March 11, 2017

    Father paralysed after falling off bucking bronco while on ‘lad’s holiday’

    A man who had been out drinking to
    celebrate his birthday in Portugal is unlikely to ever walk again after falling from a bucking bronco.


    Bruce Ford, 49, from County Durham, was in Albufeira when he spotted the ride at a bar.
    After just two seconds he fell from it and
    landed on his neck, leaving him paralysed.
    Bruce said: ‘The bouncers picked me up
    and sat me on a chair but I just fell straight
    off.
    ‘My friends called an ambulance and the
    neurosurgeon operated the same night to put a metal plate in my neck.’
    The Sunderland fan, from County Durham,
    broke the fourth and fifth vertebrae in his
    neck and he was resuscitated twice.
    He spent two weeks in a Portuguese intensive care unit before he was
    finally transported back to the UK.
    He said: ‘It was very difficult for the first few weeks. The Portuguese doctors were just trying to keep me alive so I could be sent home.
    ‘They looked after me but the language
    barrier was there. I was trying to get home as quickly as possible.’
    The dad-of-two remembers very little of the
    night but remembers telling his friends he
    couldn’t feel his legs immediately after the
    accident.
    He is now exploring legal options as he feels
    the safety padding around the bull was
    inadequate.
    Bruce, who has a 14- year-old son and two
    teen step-children, will be on the spinal ward of a Glasgow hospital for at least another month. He said: ‘I’m officially paralysed below the elbow.
    ‘I can move my legs but there is no power in
    them so it’s unlikely I’ll ever walk again.
    ‘And I have limited mobility in my left arm
    now too. There may be progress over the
    next year or two but the doctors aren’t
    expecting me to walk.
    ‘I’m in denial. I’m still convinced I will be
    dancing out of here.
    ‘It’s a hard thing to face but at the end of the
    day I don’t have a choice so I have to get on
    with it.’
    Engaged to Louise Nicholls, who has been his ‘rock’, Bruce is still planning to marry in the summer.
    His friends are now planning a cycle ride
    from Glasgow to Sunderland to raise money
    for the spinal unit in the Scottish city.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Your comment is highly needed for us to know how interesting our stories/writeups are. THANKS

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel